A number of bills related to single-use consumer items received a hearing before the Joint Committee on Environment, Natural Resources, and Agriculture of the Massachusetts Legislature on 15 October 2019.
The Surfrider Foundation MA Chapter was very happy to have the opportunity to prepare and submit written testimony in support of the waste reduction principles behind many of these bills. We also provided as providing commentary and feedback on proposed changes to further strengthen these efforts through a clear focus on promoting reusable consumer goods whenever possible.
The bills on which we testified were:
- H.843: An Act relative to helium balloons
- H.857: An Act restricting distribution of single-use plastic straws
- H.4084: An Act to restrict, reduce, and minimize the use and distribution of single-use plastic straws in Massachusetts
- S.429: An Act to reduce disposable plastic straw waste
- H.859: An Act to improve plastic bottles and their recycling
- H.886: An Act relative to disposable food service wares
- H.3765: An Act of leadership by the state of Massachusetts to reduce single use plastics
For more information about the Surfrider Foundation MA Chapter’s positions on these bills or to find out more about how you can help reduce plastic pollution and protect the ocean here in Massachusetts, please contact the Chapter’s Campaigns Coordinator.