It’s true that some of us have been hardcore surfers for decades, and some of us aren’t even surfers (yet). However, our shared love of the oceans brings the Massachusetts Surfrider Chapter together. We are united by our desire to protect our local waters, waves, and beaches as the life-sustaining ecosystems and sources of wonder that they truly are. Our chapter is dedicated to reducing plastic pollution through both individual and community-wide actions.
Our main focus is on the problem of marine debris, and especially the significant threats that plastic pollution poses to marine life, global ecosystems, and our own well-being. While the oceans face many grave dangers, we believe that marine debris is a specific area where outreach, human-level solutions, and grassroots activism can make a real difference.
How You Can Help!
As an all-volunteer organization, our efforts depend entirely on your support! Here are some of the many different ways you can Get On Board to help the cause:
- Make personal choices and reduce your use of single-use plastics whenever possible. For example:
- Bring reusable bags for your shopping
- Use your own reusable beverage containers
- Refuse plastic drinking straws
- Support our campaigns to promote state and local restrictions on single-use and disposable plastics
- State-wide Single-Use Plastic Bag Restrictions: S.424 “An Act to Reduce Plastic Pollution”
- Boston Plastic Bag Ban
- Supporting Grassroots Efforts and Local Legislation Across Massachusetts
- Attend our Monthly Core Volunteer Meeting: We meet at 6:30 pm on the first Wednesday of every month in the Eastern Bank Community Room, 250 Elm St, Somerville, MA 02144 in Davis Square. Help shape what we do and find out how you can take part in Surfrider Massachusetts volunteer opportunities – get involved and help us protect our coast!
- Learn about and support active National Surfrider Campaigns
- Check out our events listing and come out to one of our events!
- Like us on Facebook and spread the word to your friends and family!
- Write to us to learn more about volunteer opportunities and to be added to our mailing list
- Please consider joining or donating to the Surfrider Foundation